Lessons Learned

This weekend we went to the annual Maryland Renaissance Festival (for the third year in a row), and I feel that I learned some very valuable lessons there. The faint of stomach might want to skip this list.

• If you’re on nausea-inducing antibiotics, reconsider that plan to go to the renfest no matter how beautiful the weather is. (“No, I feel great, it’ll be good for me!” *shakes head sadly*)
  • If you’re on said antibiotics and go to the renfest anyway, do not eat the heavy fair food such as the greasy (if quite yummy) Scotch Eggs.
  • If you eat the Scotch Eggs, do not then go home and later top them off with a serving of mint chocolate ice cream just because it’s comfort food and so you mistakenly think it might settle your stomach.
  • Mint chocolate chip ice cream tastes much better going down than it does coming back up.
  • When all is said and done, make sure you’re at least in the middle of reviewing a most excellent whole grain bread cookbook so you’ll have something light and healthy to settle your stomach with over the rest of the week. Who knew oat bran bread could be so good?!

And on that note, here’s a review of the last of my library books. Tomorrow or Thursday I’ll post an updated list of upcoming book reviews: Robert Masello’s Bestiary.

Posted in News & Musings
9 comments on “Lessons Learned
  1. SciFiChick says:

Ick! Hope you’re feeling better now!

2. Bildo says:

Ouch, Heather. Sorry it was “messy” for you.

I’m heading down to the Cincinnati Ren Fest on the 15th (it’s PIRATE WEEKEND!), so wish me luck. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Bildo says:

Oh, and I finally did that MEME you got me with. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. heather says:

SciFiChick: Much better! Still mildly sick to my stomach, but only 3 more days on the antibiotic. Thank you!

Bildo: Whooo! Ours has a pirate weekend too. ๐Ÿ˜€ Good luck! And I’ll check our your blog in a bit. *grin*

5. Melmoth says:

When all is said and done, make sure youโ€™re at least in the middle of reviewing a most excellent whole grain bread cookbook so youโ€™ll have something light and healthy to settle your stomach with over the rest of the week.

I thought you ate the book there for a second.

6. I hope you are feeling better, Heather. I haven’t yet been to a renfest, but someday I would like to go. I have a friend who goes every year and her costumes are always so beautiful.

7. heather says:

Melmoth: While that would indeed fulfill the high-fiber promise of whole grain cooking, it would lack in the cookbook’s promise of high flavor. Not that I have any experience knowing what paper tastes like or anything, of course.

Literary Feline: They’re so much fun! Ours is in its 31st year, apparently. The performances are great fun, and it’s worth it just to be able to shop from the amazing artisans. Every year we buy honeys from the Bee Folk, and there’s a guy who sells stunning inlaid wood boxes that he makes by hand. If I had the money, though, we’d SO have furniture made by this guy who takes whole slabs of redwood or driftwood and the like and varnishes them up into freeform tables and chairs. The only downside is the drain on your wallet! ๐Ÿ˜€

8. ScottM says:

Hope you’re already feeling better.

9. heather says:

ScottM: Aye, Scott, much! Thank you. For once my antibiotic-related symptoms got better over the course of a week instead of worse. It was great.