- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- pinch salt
- cinnamon stick (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half, or to taste
- 4 cups hot coffee
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup amaretto (to taste)
Put the chocolate and water in the top of a double boiler. Melt the chocolate, whisking occasionally until the chocolate is melted into the water, over hot or simmering (but not boiling) water.
Whisk the sugar and salt into the chocolate and water. Add the cinnamon. Once the sugar is dissolved, whisk in the half-and-half and heat through.
Whisk in the coffee and amaretto, heat through if necessary, remove the cinnamon stick if using, and taste. Add half-and-half and sugar to taste, if necessary. Remove from heat and serve.
Good cold; reheats well.