I like to use Technorati tags in my blog entries, so I’ve been working on a way to get them to work with Movable Type. I eventually came across the TechnoratiTags plugin. The only problem was, I followed the instructions, and while you could click on the tags and look at the results on Technorati, Technorati wasn’t recognizing the presence of those tags in my own posts.
After some poking around I found out that apparently Technorati indexes the content of the RSS feed rather than the actual entry. So if you just drop the tags into the entry template, they won’t show up in the material Technorati indexes. You have to also find an appropriate place to drop them into the RSS feed template. Of course, I couldn’t find instructions for where to do this that I could make sense of (I’m not a techie–I’m just a stubborn person willing to poke at things, break them, and fix them again), so I had to try by trial and error until I got an entry to show up with the right tags on Technorati. I ended up with a line in my RSS feed template that looked like this, inside the description tags:
I have no idea if that’s a reasonable place for it to end up, but it seemed to work.
Of course, after the entry in which I got it to work, I haven’t seen any of my other posts show up on Technorati at all. This may be a coincidence, since not all of them show up there anyway for some reason (I’ve heard rumors Movable Type doesn’t always ping when it says it is). Or I may have messed something up and have to un-break it again. Only time will tell…