According to Wikipedia, a mondegreen “is the mishearing (usually accidental) of a phrase in such a way that it acquires a new meaning.” This is so common in the case of songs that there are entire books of mondegreens available. You can also find out about some common mondegreens at the following pages:
- Mondegreens Ripped My Flesh
- mondegreen central
- The Misheard Lyrics Hall of Fame
- Brain Candy mondegreens
- A Collection of Humorous Mondegreens
Using a mondegreen of your own, or one from a page linked to above, do one of the following:
- Write the rest of the song that would go around this misheard lyric, or turn it into a poem.
- Use it as a free-association jumping off point and just start writing to see what odd and unusual ideas you come up with.
- Use it as a story-starter.