I wouldn’t have classified these as prompts–rather as the sort of humor list that folks mail around for fun–but this person has a point. Why not take a saying from one of those humor lists and use it as a prompt? Grab one of the items from the list linked to above and do one of the following:
- Journal for 15 minutes about your thoughts regarding the quote.
- Start a short story with a character repeating or thinking about the quote.
- Use the quote anywhere within a short story.
- Use it in an impromptu poem.
- Free associate from the quote to come up with a story idea.
- Use the attitudes represented or embodied by the quote to come up with an interesting character.
If you think of any other possibilities, feel free to post them as comments!